Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Spending Spree

Well now I forgot where I was. No wait I remember where I stopped, but I can't remmber what happened next. No wait I think I remember what happened, but now I...nothing.

Anyway....

Friday: After PW consultation that day, I went straight from school to Tampines MRT to Jurong East to meet Kit and Gaps to got to the Creative sale. I realised two things in the way there:

1. I was starting to look more and more out of place in my TPJC uniform the further West I got.
2. Now I know what Jas meant last time by the train ride to the West was damn long. She and Qiqi came over for Kim's birthday last year, but she left early because she had to take the train all the way back to Tiong Bahru. Well Juring East IS further than Tiong Bahru, but to me it still seemed to take forever just to reach Tiong Bahru, especially since I didn't have any music with me. Kim borrowed my Altec Lansing earphones, and my Audio Technica headphones are beyond repair anyway.

The train ride was almost 50 minutes, and I didn't get up from Tamp all the way to JE. Deep vein thrombosis just waiting to pounce on you. Anyway finally met them at JE and we took the shuttle bus. On the way there, I realised that although I had been waiting for the Creative sale for a while (I need speakers and an MP3 player), I wasn't prepared for it now because I thought the next one was in November. Now I'm finally on the way there, but I didn't have a preset budget. I didn't even save any money for it. So I had to limit myself to about $100. As my kind of people would say: "Buy what sai?!"

Well I did manage to get a 2.1 system for my com, but that meant no MP3, and I waas eyeing the Fatal1ty sound card, but yeah. We then left for the IMM building, where we ate at Han's, and then Gaps left to meet his family and I went with Kit to the pasar malam back at Bedok. Since my family was out of town, we thought of him staying over at my place, but that night was a bit inconvenient. Come to think of it, I should have made it convenient, cuz now with my parents around, he's never gonna get a chance to stay over. Dammit. So I went home and set up my speakers. Not the best there is, but not bad for $70, and it's a hell of a lot better than my old ones.

Saturday: Next morning Kit called me out (again) and we went cycling for a bit and had breakfast at our favourite bak chor mee stall at Katong. Then went for a little spin at ECP, where I tried his road bike. It was nice to ride, very nice actually, but I'd still stick to mountain bikes. I like the freedom of being able to go offroad once in a while. All this while when we were moving from Katong to ECP, we were trying to call people out and join us. Best bet was Gautam, but first time we called him, he was asleep, and second time he was in the bathroom, so that meant after the second call I had to wait for about an hour for him to get out. When I finally got him at 1050, we were on our way from Bedok Central to the bike shop behind Bedok Stadium, cuz I wanted to get carbon bar ends for my bike (been meaning to get those for quite a while). Anyway:

Gaps: Hey you called?
Russ: Huh? Oh it's nothing. Kit and I were out cycling and we were wondering if you could come out and join us.
G: Huh? Aren't you meeting them?
R: (???) Who?
G: 4/1 lah. They're having lunch with Miss Peh, right?
R: OH SHIT that's today?! I completely forgot... shit shit... okie... er wait what time are they meeting her?
G: In about... er... 5 minutes.
R: ... shit....

Well I gave Alex a ring after that, but it seemed that everyone was running late. So typical of 4/1. Wahhaa... I see nothing's changed, although a lot has. More on that later.

So after getting bar edns and having my derailleurs retuned, I rushed home and took a shower and a cab to Changi Airport, where they were meeting Miss Peh. Apparently I was the latest, but not everyone was there. When I got there, there was Alex, KX, Chuen Yang (the Ah Pui of 4/1), Yun Shan, Valerie, Lina, Li Shi, Baoyun, Da Zun and HK at Popeye's. We had fun there talking to Miss Peh and reminiscing about the old days in her English class.

We were talking about our class, BVSS 4E1 2004, and it suddenly stuck me how we have all split ways and how some of us, bonded as we were during our BV days, have all lost contact with each other already. I haven't spoken to Regina properly since I ran into her when she was working at TM Breeks (met her at BV at Teachers' Day but didn't talk to her) and some people like Hui Min and David I've totally lost track and haven't seen since the release of our O Level results. People like Sam, Jilly, Ani and Suk Lin are all over the world, I can't keep track. Heard that Suk's facing some complications at NZ and she can't come back. I miss the old days and the old ways. The CBD, the countryside, the forests and the swamp, and who could forget Ah Pui the power plant and Joanne the Oil Refinery (was that what she was?) Haiz...

So after lunch we split ways and said our goodbyes to Miss Peh for now. Her condition isn't improving. Alex, KX, Val and I went to Orchard to meet Tyng Tyng, Mei Shan and Nicholas Yong to buy a present for Adeline. But the guys didn't stay long, and later the four of us went to Kit's house to crash and (for lack of a better phrase) pia XBox, NFS Underground 2 in particular. Alex still has Initial D euphoria; he took a Toyota Corolla and painted it white so it looked like an AE 86, and he then proceeded to pwn all of us at the downhill track. He says he's gonna train for next year's WCG. Good luck to him.

Finally got home, and so did my family. And Chuckie! He seems more lethargic lately, although he still is sprightly at times. I guess that's how Shih Tzus turn out in the end. So in the 3 days that they were away, I spent $25 on Gundam SEED Destiny, $78 on new Creative speakers and $29 on bar ends. She got a shock! Lucky I didn't tell her I also stayed out late and got written up by the fuzz. I don't wish to imagine her reaction to THAT.